Thursday, February 10, 2005

What the heck is a Luddite Geek?

From WordNet (r) 2.0 :

Luddite
n 1: any opponent of technological progress
2: one of the 19th century English workmen who destroyed
labor-saving machinery that they thought would cause
unemployment

From Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) :

geek n. A person who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia. Most geeks are adept with computers and treat hacker as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves - and some who _are_ in fact hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they (quite properly) regard `hacker' as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than self-assumed.


Well, that should give you an idea where this might be headed.

1 comment:

LilBambi said...

Thanks so much for posting a comment on my blog. I had to find out what your blog was about as well...of course! And it was well worth visiting. I will add you to my blogroll so I can keep up on your blog.

Had to check out your first posting so I could see how the seemingly incongruous luddite and geek came together.

Thanks again for leaving a comment on my blog so I could find yours easily.

And to return the favor: Blog on!